When you regularly use curtains over a long period, they become a repository for dirt and different types of contaminants. You must clean your curtains carefully to avoid damaging the organic material of your curtains. We recommend that you call in local expert curtain cleaners like Curtain Cleaning Brisbane to get your curtains cleaned organically without the use of chemicals.
How do I clean my curtains without using harmful chemicals?
This involves the use of natural and eco-friendly chemicals to clean your curtains. Some tips that you can use to naturally clean your curtains include the following:
- Regular dusting of your curtains: You can do this by using a soft brush to clean your curtains of dirt particles and other contaminants. You can also use the upholstery attachment of your vacuum cleaner to clean and remove all the surface dust particles.
- Removal of odours: Your curtains may smell malodorous and unpleasant, making your home an unwelcoming space. In such a case, sprinkle baking soda all over the curtain. Baking soda is an effective anti-microbial agent and deodorizer. It will not only remove the odours but also disinfect the curtains to remove any remaining germs and allergens.
- If there are stains or spots, use an organic or natural stain remover, and pretreat your curtains with this. Let your curtains remain with these stain removers for some time. After this, remove the stains by gently scrubbing the material. Don’t rub harshly, as this may result in the stains and colours spreading to other areas of the curtain. A vinegar-in-water solution is an effective natural, organic cleaner that works wonders at removing stains. Spray this organic stain remover in the deeply stained areas of the curtains and let it soak it in. After removing the stain residues and cleaning agents’ remnants, render your curtain cloth completely clean.
- Check if your curtains are machine washable. In such a case, set your washing machine on a gentle cycle with cold water and clean your curtains with a mild, eco-friendly laundry detergent. Check the labels of your store-bought detergent to make sure that your detergent does not contain any harmful chemicals or detergents.
- Hand washing: If it is required to hand wash your curtains, make sure that you use a sustainable and biodegradable detergent to soak your curtains. After your curtains are soaked for some time, remove the curtains and gently scrub them between your hands. Rinse the curtains and clean them with cold water to avoid wrinkles and creases.
- Steam Cleaning: This is one of the most eco-friendly curtain cleaning methods for cleaning your curtains. This uses minimal detergents and cleans your curtains only by using hot steam that simultaneously removes the dirt and kills allergens. A hand-held steam cleaner is very useful for this purpose, as it will simultaneously clean your curtains and is also very easy to operate without any accidents.
- Sunlight and fresh air: Sunlight and fresh air are the natural deodorizers and anti-allergen agents available in nature. When you expose your curtains to the bright sunlight, it will kill the dust mites, mould, mildew, and other germs present in your curtains. You can do this without much effort. Remember that too much sunlight can also cause your curtain colours to fade, and balance the sunlight exposure with caution.
- Always spot-clean the spots and stains on your curtains with a mixture of soap and water or a mild detergent solution. Avoid excessive rubbing on the stains, as this will damage the curtain fabric.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding the cleaning of your curtains and stains. Remember to use cleaning agents, cleaning mediums, and methods that cause minimal damage to your curtains.
- Spot cleaning in an inconspicuous area on a small patch will ensure that the curtain fabric is not damaged.
- Lastly, it is always better to use local, expert cleaning services like Professional Curtain Cleaning Brisbane to thoroughly clean your curtains using eco-friendly chemicals.
Curtain Cleaning Brisbane is a well-established curtain cleaning company operating in Brisbane. We work 24×7, 7 days a week. Please contact us at 0488856623 or online through our website to book an appointment for a sustainable curtain cleaning solution.